Park History

Original Amenities
Oakdale Park originally opened on May 1, 1925. The park offering to the public:
  • Bungalows
  • Cottages
  • Dance pavilions
  • Permanent campsites for sale
  • Sanitary swimming pool
Motor Court 
Oakdale Park was built by Henry J Cox and joined the 174 motor courts or auto tourist camps developed in Texas by 1924. Mr. Cox purchased additional land adjoining his land that was owned by H.M. "Sam" Martin and was the historic location of "Martin Park", where early tourists camped in wagons under trees around a flowing well. Oakdale Park is now one of only four remaining motor courts in the state of Texas. 

Even before the park was built, the land and the water wells attracted people to stay here.

Motels as we know them today didn’t exist before the 1940s. In the 1920s and early 1930s, roadside camps gave road trip travelers a place to stay along the road but offered very little in the way of amenities.

Eventually, accommodations became more elaborate. Cabins offered indoor plumbing and an opportunity for travelers to get indoors and out of the weather.

The "Oakdale Plunge" is a 330,000 gallon swimming pool built in 1925 and is the centerpiece of the Park. It was dug out with horse and mule and was originally a sulphur/mineral pool. Today the "Plunge" retains the original shape of the original pool and there are pictures showing the original diving platforms and slide. In 2011 the pool was upgraded but the two horizontal walls in the pool separating the kiddie pool and the deep end are original and reworked. While the original slide
and platform diving boards are no longer there, there is a slide and diving board for today's guests. Guests could rent a wool swimsuit for a nickel. 

The bathhouse and office buildings are original to the park as well. Travelers could come and enjoy the healing waters or enjoy the casino where orchestras played for dancing visitors. Mr. 
Cox converted the casino in the 1940's by adding a maple floor and opening a skating rink. The 
maple floor and a few of the original skates are still at Oakdale. When the May's bought the park 
in 1963 they turned the casino/skating rink into a meeting facility. 

In 1963 Alton "Whimp" May and Geneva "Pete" May purchased Oakdale Park from the Cox family. Area members of the "Woodmen of the World" erected the flag pole at the south end of 
the pool as you drive into the park shortly after the May's purchased the park and for years they would bring a new American Flag at the opening of each season. 

Current Features

Come and spend quality time with family and friends in a serene country like atmosphere, while only being a short drive from Fort Worth. Oakdale Park is proud to have one of the largest swimming pools in the State of Texas called the Plunge.

There are various facilities in the park to host meetings, banquets, weddings, festivals, and family reunions. The Paluxy River and Big Rocks Park is just across the street. Historic downtown and the Courthouse is just around the bend to fill your shopping and restaurant needs.

In the evening enjoy the beautiful river walk along the Paluxy River. Our goal is to make memories with you for years to come! Oakdale Park is full of fun and activities for all ages! 
Website pictures